Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrAiNumbc  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2004 4:31:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have ImageUploader and GraphicsMill installed on my webserver. ImageUploader to handle the gui for the web users to upload digital photos, and graphicsmill to actually do the resizing the photos and do a new more things to them before saving them.

I have a question.

Is there a way, with ImageUploader to have files resized CLIENT SIDE before uploading them to our web server?

The reason I ask is that the website I use these products on gets about 400-500 images uploaded per day. 99% of these images are jpg files actually taken from digital cameras so the original filesizes are HUGE (a few megs each). These massive files have to get uploaded before GraphicsMill can shrink them down to 640x480, thus reducing the actual file size to about 20-50K.

Our web users have started to complain about slowness a bit more frequently lately. A couple of months ago we only had about 50-100 images being uploaded per day. We *could* get another t-1 line for another $1000/month, but I'm hoping to find some ways of tweaking what I have now to save some money.
Fedor  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2004 3:03:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Is there a way, with ImageUploader to have files resized CLIENT SIDE before uploading them to our web server?

Sure, Image Uploader can resize images on client side. Please read following article for more info:

Rotating, Resizing, and Optimizing Images

Edited by user Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:24:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
BrAiNumbc  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2004 1:15:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

I read the article, but I'm still a little confused. The explanation is a little ambiguous.

I see three properties for fitting thumbnails:

UploadThumbnail1whatever (fit, width, height, etc)

UploadThumbnail2whatever (fit, width, height, etc)

UploadThumbnail3whatever (fit, width, height, etc)

These talk about sizing the thumbnail. I just want to resize the actual image that gets sent, not the thumbnail. Will setting these parameters actually resize the image itself that gets sent.. BEFORE it gets sent?

Also, I'm not clear as to why there are THREE different properties for thumbnails. There is only ONE thumbnail per picture presented to the user. If I set all three parameters (thumbnail1, 2 and 3) will it make three copies of each image the user tries to upload?
BrAiNumbc  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2004 12:14:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

This didn't seem to help. I added the following html code inside my object tag for imageuploader:

Code:
	<param name="UploadSourceFile" value="False">
	<param name="EnableRotate" value="True">

<param name="UploadThumbnail1FitMode" value="fit">
	<param name="UploadThumbnail1Width" value="640">
	<param name="UploadThumbnail1Height" value="480">

I uploaded three images, originaly 1280x1024. I looked at the file that was placed on the server by the script. The photo was still 1280 x 1024. The status window that popped up during the upload still showed the same number of bytes being sent as the 1280x1024 file.

Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps there is some vb/asp code that I am missing in my underlying script? I didn't make any changes to this, just the original html code. I'm still using the "objUpload.Files" property in my asp code to handle the files coming over. The link you sent me earlier didn't mention anything about any extra properties I had to use in my script code.

========================================================
02/14/2008, Fedor
This topic is out of date.

You should use iuembed.js syntax now. Also you should use AllowRotate property instead of EnableRotate one.

Code:
iu.addParam("UploadSourceFile", "false")
iu.addParam("AllowRotate", "true")

iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1FitMode", "fit")
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Width", "640")
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Height", "480")

========================================================

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:01:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedor  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2004 12:46:00 AM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
I am sorry for delay. It seems you did all correctly. Could you submit case with page where you use Image Uploader, as well as page for server upload processing.

Edited by user Friday, May 23, 2008 3:56:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov