Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blake06  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:09:01 AM(UTC)
blake06

Groups: Member

Hello,

My organization has been using ImageUploader 4.1.21.0 Dual for the past 9 months. We recently noticed that people running Windows Vista were having trouble with the uploader, so I came to the website and noticed that 4.5.50.0 is available. Hoping that this would fix our Vista problems, we have installed it for testing. However, this new version appears to have been changed in at least one area.

In our situation, we wanted to know the entire path for the images that were uploaded, not just the filename. This allows us to organize images serverside based on the clientside path of the images. In order to get this information, we are using the following script:

Code:
function MyBeforeUpload()
{
  	var imageUploader = getImageUploader("ImageUploader1");

imageUploader.AddField("UserID", "<?=$_SESSION['UserID']?>");

for (var i=imageUploader.getUploadFileCount(); i>=1; i--)
	{
        imageUploader.AddField("FullPath_" + i, imageUploader.getUploadFileName(i));
    }
}

//Configure event listeners.
iu.addEventListener("BeforeUpload", "MyBeforeUpload");

With 4.1.21.0 Dual, this works in Firefox, IE 6&7, and Opera for getting the full path for the files.

However, with 4.5.50.0 Dual, it no longer works with IE 6 or 7 (the ActiveX version). It does work with the Java version, so it is working fine in Firefox and Opera.

Did you change something in 4.5.50.0 that causes the getUploadFileName of the ActiveX version to no longer return the full path for files? Instead, all it gives is the filename. (i.e. Instead of C:\images\image.jpg it would say just image.jpg).

I know that there is a FileName_N POST field that is similar to what we want to do, but it only works when you are uploading entire folders. If you just choose various images from various folders, it will not show the path for those images.

Any help would be appreciated, because we would like to use the new version 4.5.50.0 in our application in hopes that it will solve the Vista problems. Has 4.5.50.0 been tested in Microsoft Windows Vista?

Thanks,

Blake

Edited by user Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:29:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Alex Makhov  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:44:52 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

We have really changed the behavior of UploadFileName property due to security reasons. You can see that all current versions of internet browsers have stopped full path sending because it could be dangerous in some cases. We have just followed the commonly used rule.
If you want to continue using your upload processing script we could make a private build version for you. If you are interested feel free to submit case.

As for Vista support, yes, Image Uploader works correctly with it starting from 4.1.

Edited by user Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:37:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!
blake06  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:40:52 PM(UTC)
blake06

Thanks for the quick response Alex.

You say that you've changed the behavior of UploadFileName because of security reasons. It makes sense to me that you might not want to send the full path to the server (which is the case even with the 4.1.21.0 version that we have now), but why not allow us to getUploadFileName() on the client-side through JavaScript?

Also, if it is really that much of a security issue, then why have you only taken this precaution with the ActiveX version? The Java version gives you the full path name when using getUploadFileName() in JavaScript.

It seems to me that both the ActiveX version and the Java version should function the same way as much as possible. Is there a reason that getUploadFileName() gives different results for ActiveX than it does for Java?

Thanks,

Blake
Alex Makhov  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:08:47 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello Blake,

As there is no ability to get full path from any browser when using the standard “INPUT type=File” element, we have to avoid full path availability in Image Uploader too.

Image Uploader for Java really returns full path. This is due to ImageUploader to Thumbnail applet communication reasons. We are going to remove full path from Java version too as soon as we found the good way to implement more secure communication algorithm.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!