Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
captain_torche  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:35:49 PM(UTC)
captain_torche

Groups: Member

I'm experiencing another problem with the java version.

On some images, the thumbnails uploaded are not the actual image, but the icon image in the filesystem (the look depends on the user's system).

The sample code I use to generate the thumbnails is the same as my other problem :

Code:
 iu.addParam("UploadSourceFile", "true");

iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1FitMode","fit");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Height", "384");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Width", "384");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality", "80");

iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail2FitMode","fit");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail2Height", "96");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail2Width", "96");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail2JpegQuality", "90");

I can't post or email the sample image (its filesize is 11mb). All I can say is it's 300 DPI, 24bit color-depth, 2776x2326px in size.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:43:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Alex Makhov  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2006 7:23:16 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Groups:

Hello,

Image Uploader for Java has some problems with big images thumbnail generation. The reason is in using of standard Java image reading libraries. We are going to find another library to read images in the future. Now you could add some additional processing on the server side to make thumbnails for the files which have icons instead of thumbnails.

Also as I remember you are using the very old version of Image Uploader for Java. Try to update to the last one. We have already made a hard work to improve thumbnail generation.

Sincerely yours,

Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!

fdenkens  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2006 11:24:17 PM(UTC)
fdenkens

Hi,

Many digital images, especially those produced by digital camera's, actually already include thumbnails in the JPEG header. Wy not, optionally, use those? It would surely speed both ActiveX and JAva version.

Regards,

Frederik.

Alex Makhov  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2006 5:46:38 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Groups:

Hello,

EXIF thumbnails which are usually stored in JPEG-files are used by Image Uploaders (both ActiveX and Java) as thumbnails but only if they have appropriate size. For example if UploadThumbnail1Width and UploadThumbnail1Height are set to 90 and UploadThumbnail1FitMode is set to “Fit” Image Uploader will definitely send the EXIF-based thumbnail.

Sincerely yours,

Alex Makhov

fdenkens  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2006 6:26:34 PM(UTC)
fdenkens

Alex,

first: thanks for the quick response. Happy to have switched to Aurigma already for this reason.

Second: I was more talking about the thumbnail generation for previewing in Image Uploader. I think that's where a lot of speed improvement would come. It would be great to be able to specify an option whereby the EXIF thumbs are used for this previewing, providing they are of a minimal resolution.

What to you think of this?

Regards,

Frederik.

Alex Makhov  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2006 7:56:43 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Groups:

Hello,

EXIF thumbnails are used as preview thumbnails in the same manner. If the EXIF thumbnail corresponds to PreviewThumbnailSize (its dimensions are bigger or equal to this property value) it will is used to make a preview thumbnail. But if it is smaller or its aspect ratio is wrong the new thumbnail on the base of the original image will be generated. We have checked the quality of images which are created by resizing images to the bigger size. The quality was really bad.

Sincerely yours,

Alex Makhov