Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joeshearn  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:43:27 PM(UTC)
joeshearn

Groups: Member

Hi,

Recently I have been doing a lot of work with the Graphics Mill bitmap viewer control. The whole project that I have been working on hinges upon one thing, being able to host the control in IE. It now seems that this is not possible. For example if I create a simple user control and embed it in an object tag then it is loaded into IE with no problems. However if I then add a bitmap viewer control to it fails to load.

Is there any way to get around this issue? I have added the site to my trusted sites and turned off as many of the security features as I can in IE but it still does not work. The annoying thing about this is that IE doesnt give any error, just a little red cross indicating that it could not load. Is there any way of making IE more verbose about its errors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Joe
joeshearn  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:43:52 AM(UTC)
joeshearn

Hi,

After doing some research it seems that the problem may be that the bitmap viewer control contains a mixture of managed and un-managed code. It looks like there could be a way to overcome this by configuring various permissions options, not sure how to do this tho, or even if this is the actual problem. Brick wall

Joe
Sergey Peshekhonov  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2008 7:47:48 PM(UTC)
Sergey Peshekhonov

Hello, joeshearn.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce your problem. Could you send us code sample which doesn't work in IE (and version of IE which you use)? I think we need just Default.aspx and Default.aspx.cs files. Please submit case with these files.

Edited by user Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:08:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Sergey Peshekhonov.

Aurigma Technical Support Team.
joeshearn  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2008 8:50:21 PM(UTC)
joeshearn

Hi,

I have created an example solution. It is just a bitmap viewer control that loads a bitmap. I have created an index.htm file in the debug directory, IIS needs to have a virtual directory that points to the debug directory. If I run it within visual studio then it works fine, if I view it in IE then it doesn't work. However if I remove the bitmap viewer control (and the related code) and replace it with a button control then it works correctly.

Initially I thought that the problem was that when run in the client's web browser the control couldn't access the Graphics Mill DLLs so I added them to the GAC but that didn't fix it. Another (very annoying) issue is that when testing these controls IE seems to cache the DLL and clearing the internet history, cache, downloaded program files etc etc doesn't un-cache it. Do you know any way of getting around this?

Thanks,

Joe Shearn

EDIT: I have tested it in IE 7 and 6.

Edited by user Monday, March 24, 2008 9:22:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
BMV_Test.zip (22kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Alex Kon  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:33:51 PM(UTC)
Alex Kon

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi,

Oh, I've thought that you are talking about AJAX BitmapViewer... Your case is really very-very specific.

I digged into the issue and I'm afraid that it is impossible to embed our WinForms controls into IE. The reason is .NET security policies.

Graphics Mill for .NET requires FullTrust permissions level (because it contains a lot of unmanaged => non-verifiable code). So you have to put it to GAC. But that causes one more problem!

.NET framework demands FullTrust for all callers of the FullTrust assemblies - to prevent luring attacks. But your component (which uses GM) obviously cannot be placed to GAC - it should be downloaded from Web. I don't know, is there any way to lower security level and make it work, but anyway it will not be a good idea.

Are you sure that you cannot use Graphics Mill Web controls? If you wish, we may discuss your requirements and try to find another way. If it is not acceptable for you to publish such information here - feel free to submit case.

Frankly speaking, solutions with embedded WinForms controls have so many restrictions that we never even took them into account! :(

Edited by user Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:12:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joeshearn  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:14:52 PM(UTC)
joeshearn

Hi,

Thank you for looking into it. It seems that the web based components are the way to go. I will have a chat with my boss about getting the licence etc and then get back to you.

Thanks for the help,

Joe Shearn
joeshearn  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2008 2:00:18 AM(UTC)
joeshearn

Hi,

I have found out that if you create a new code group in the .NET framework configuration utility, add the site that is hosting the control to it and give it full trust then it works. This requires some client side configuration but it is suitable for our purpose.

Thanks for all of the help,

Joe Shearn
Alex Kon  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:14:33 PM(UTC)
Alex Kon

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi,

Great! You did something which I thought impossible to do with our controls! ;)

Edited by user Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:15:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified