Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChingYen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:53:40 PM(UTC)
ChingYen

Groups: Member

Hi,

When try try to generate a PDF that is more than 1GB, it will give us invalid system and crash the entire app while running this line of code

Code:

Try
                writer.Dispose() <- this line, it will still crash the entire app even I have the try and catch.
            Catch ex As Exception

End Try

this is the code we use to generate the PDF (with a loop)
Code:

frame = New Aurigma.GraphicsMill.Codecs.PdfFrame
                    frame.Quality = 100
                    frame.SetBitmap(bitmap)

bitmap.Dispose()
                    writer.AddFrame(frame)

frame.Dispose()

tcrosbie  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:16:36 PM(UTC)
tcrosbie

My first question would be 'why do I need a PDF file that big'. Is there any way you can reduce the size?

You should really experiment with that Quality setting. I'm assuming your using JPG compression and have set that quality to 100, once you start getting over 90 the size of the files increase disproportionately for the absolutely negligible quality increase.

To be honest, if you are printing using these quality settings, even under an eye loupe you are going to struggle to see any perceivable difference between 90 and 100.

I've done testing on this very thing using both high end inkjets, (Epson 9880pro) and high end digital presses, (Canon ImagePRESS and HP Indigo 5500), there was absolutely no reason to justify the massive file size increase.
ChingYen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:35:35 PM(UTC)
ChingYen

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. But, I guess Aurigma just didn't do a compression on the PDF. As the same file, if I convert them into JPGs, I would get the size of less than 150MB (total with quality of 10). Once I use the adobe acrobat to combine those JPG into PDF, I get almost the same file size in one single PDF.

Even I tried, just to export "white paper" to the PDF, the file size just huge (up to 800MB), while when I zip the PDF, the size could be just scale down below 100MB.

I tired the quality setting to 90... but seems like the file size still kind of big, so, when we trying to export more pages, we still will run into the same problem.

For our current approach is just export everything to JPG as nothing much we can do for now. :(

Please share if you have better solution on this.....

Or any 3rd party JPG to PDF tools that will not decrease the output quality @ all.

Big Thanks !!
tcrosbie  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 12:09:58 PM(UTC)
tcrosbie

Right. I don't use Aurigma to convert to PDF, not for any other reason than I was already using other tools to handle PDF output. It sounds like the Aurigma PDF implementation could use some optimisation.

I've used two tools to handle PDF output. The first one I used was one called iTextSharp (http://itextsharp.sourceforge.net/), pretty good implementation. Opensource, good community. Has some weird idiosyncracies with the way it handles fonts, which is what ended up leading me to drop it in favour of my current tool. But now that I'm using Aurigma to handle fonts, iTextSharp would be more than adequate.

iTextSharp has good functionality and will allow you to pretty much do whatever you need.