Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmount  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 8:56:18 AM(UTC)
mmount

Groups: Member

Hi,

Is there any reason not to set EnableAutoRotation to True?

My understanding is that this property reads the EXIF rotation value and rotates the image appropriately. I assume that it does so for display in the uploader as well as when uploading the image to our servers and that any "extra" rotation the user might apply will be correctly reflected in the uploaded image.

I guess I am concerned that the default for this value is False which indicates to me there might be some problem with using it.

Thanks,

Mike

p.shirykalova  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 9:27:40 PM(UTC)
p.shirykalova

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi Mike,

The pitfall here is that EXIF data is created by the camera, and not all cameras can recognize the orientation properly. So even with EnableAutoRotation set to true the uploader won't rotate the image.

Best regards,

Pauline Shirykalova

Aurigma Technical Support

mmount  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:14:39 AM(UTC)
mmount

Thank you Pauline,

I understand that the EXIF might not be there and might even be wrong depending on the orientation of the camera when the picture was taken (for example pointed down or up can throw the sensor off).

My question, I guess, is if the Uploader will rotate the image based on EXIF (if available) prior to displaying the image to the user or if it does it on upload. The problem I am afraid of is that the user rotates the image because it's "wrong" and then on upload the AutoRotate rotates to make it "wrong" again.

If the Uploader rotates the image for display and the sensor data is wrong then I trust the user will correct it prior to upload. If they don't then I would presume they also wouldn't have corrected it even if I didn't auto rotate.

Thanks,

Mike

p.shirykalova  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:20:04 AM(UTC)
p.shirykalova

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Mike,

Our uploader rotates the image based on the information stored in EXIF. If your user will rotate the image using our uploader, the uploaded image will be rotated as user managed. If the user rotates the image outside of the uploader new orientation data is saved and the uploader will use new data as it cannot get this information from any other source.

According to our developers the default value of enableRotation is false to save the client resources.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Pauline Shirykalova

Aurigma Technical Support

thanks 1 user thanked p.shirykalova for this useful post.
mmount on 12/12/2012(UTC)