Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ali Watters  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:32:52 PM(UTC)
Ali Watters

Groups: Member

A little feedback for your management.

5.7 - Great product - very happy with it (apart from two outstanding known bugs); but...

Regarding version 6 - shouldn't known issues - and bug fixes - be a 5.8 release - eg. a bug fix - not requiring a new licence - if you don't want to support large images in 5.7 - then fix a max size and make everyone aware of it - don't just leave the bug there.

Next regarding licensing - apart from a very significant price hike. ($300 -> $1300 - ps. 6.0 express/standard are not upgrades - they're a downgrade from 5.7)

What does the number of CPU's in the server have to do with anything?

- I understand the people setting the price are trying to squeeze more money from bigger sites but this is not a good metric to use.

Dev/QA licenses - 2 is really limited on the professional version; completely gone with dev.example.com and test.example.com - and registering them is a PITA - a solution would be to allow private IP's (192.168.xxx.xxx 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) plus the two domains so that dev and qa is easier.

When going to look at ordering version 6 - there are something like 40 options... which I have to cross reference with a table on a completely separate part of the site. Not a pretty page.

My site will be sticking with version 5.7 for the time being - please fix the current bugs with quality and icons being sent and release 5.8.

Andrew  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:04:30 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hello Ali,

Thanks for your post. I have just posted my comments on new licensing. They partially contain some feedback on your concerns. I hope you will find it reasonable. Let me comment your post individually.

Quote:
Regarding version 6 - shouldn't known issues - and bug fixes - be a 5.8 release - eg. a bug fix - not requiring a new licence - if you don't want to support large images in 5.7 - then fix a max size and make everyone aware of it - don't just leave the bug there.

The problem with memory shortage when resizing to huge sizes is not a common bug. It is a limitation of the platform. We have developed a special technology which allows to read an original file and write resulting resized image partially on the fly. Unlike standard approach it eliminates the necessity to allocate huge chunks of memory (which is pretty limited for Java applets). I think we will write another blog post with more detailed explanations on this.

So we made pretty large improvement (along with other features), and that's why we deem it as the next major release.

Quote:
Next regarding licensing - apart from a very significant price hike. ($300 -> $1300 - ps. 6.0 express/standard are not upgrades - they're a downgrade from 5.7)

It is a downgrade not for everyone. A lot of people do not need Pro features. But I realize that specifically for you it may seem as downgrade. I think we can find some solution if you are interested. Email us to sales@aurigma.com to discuss this.

Quote:
What does the number of CPU's in the server have to do with anything?

- I understand the people setting the price are trying to squeeze more money from bigger sites but this is not a good metric to use.

I have devoted large section in my last blog post explaining our position why we use this metric. I hope you will find these explanations reasonable.

Quote:
Dev/QA licenses - 2 is really limited on the professional version; completely gone with dev.example.com and test.example.com - and registering them is a PITA - a solution would be to allow private IP's (192.168.xxx.xxx 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) plus the two domains so that dev and qa is easier.

Well, according to our statistics a vast majority of our customers requested not more than 2 dev/QA licenses. As usual if more such licenses are required, there are much more than 2 of them.

Do not forget that it works for localhost without a license, so developers can use it locally. So they just need to be able to merge source code on a "master" dev site and test it on a dedicated QA/test server.

Quote:
When going to look at ordering version 6 - there are something like 40 options... which I have to cross reference with a table on a completely separate part of the site. Not a pretty page.

I completely agree with your comment on this. Old-style price lists is a temporary solution. In the nearest time we will replace it with much more convenient license order dialog.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:57:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ali Watters  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 5:27:07 PM(UTC)
Ali Watters

Groups: Member

Thanks for the reply Andrew - I appreciate that it has been read and understood.