Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shawno  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:09:23 PM(UTC)
shawno

Groups: Member

Hi there guys,

Just thought I'd ask a question about receiving better feedback etc about bug reports.

At the moment I am having issues with:

* Mac Firefox users

Not able to successfully upload images

* Windows - Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Internet Explorer 7 users:

Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library' runtime error. It directs me to my C: program files/internet explorer/iexplore.exe (yet our techs that are running the corporate version of Vista are NOT getting the same issues).

Now I am still running Aurigma v.4.1.1 mainly because i can see that other webmasters in this forum are having more issues using the newer updates and I would rather stay with an older version that works for 90% of users than to have have only 10% of users being able to access.

My suggestion

I have read your sticky topic about the information required to submit helpful bug reports however there is one step of the process that I have (and maybe other webmasters would as well) issues with. That is asking our users to use the demo pages on your site to bug test. Most of our users struggle to upload photos - let alone come to a foreign website. That is why we use your software - to make it simple to a BASIC user.

Is there anyway you could provide to those webmasters who have paid their annual license fee with a separate piece of software that we would install on another part of OUR own site that when accessed produces a log of all the information you need in order to bug test. That way we can tell our users to go to www.MYdomainname.com/bugtester and from here we can submit to you the log history (which should include things like a. OS Type b. Browser version c. No. of files being upload d. Size of files e. whatever else you need in order to pinpoint what is causing the issuess) for you to better debug at your end?

This would have to make life so much easier for all parties - you, webmasters and our users. You have great software - that is why we use you - but by providing this additional information you could be making all our lives a little easier ;)

Thanks

WB

Alex Makhov  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 2:18:50 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Groups: Member

Hello,

1. Mac issue. There were some bugs in additional form processing but we have fixed them and the new version is about to be available on our site (2.1.60.0).

2. Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library' runtime error. We need the information from the list in the "sticky topic".

Image Uploader passes a lot of tests before release. If any mistake occurs we fix it and add another test case. So if there is a new bug on the client side, we don’t know how to reproduce it without the client’s cooperation. Usually our clients are server administrators who are not the end users of Image Uploader. So there are several steps between us and the bug information. And the server administrator usually does not know which information is needed. That’s why we have made the "sticky topic".

There is a lot of different kind of problems happened on a lot of different platforms and browsers and I don’t see the universal way how to get the whole amount of debug information. We have made forums to help our clients. We add information to the knowledge base. We answer all the messages returned by E-mails, PMs and so on. If the issue is on the client side there is usually no possibility to upload log info from the client side to the server (because the

Quote:
upload is not working
). So the client can help to fix the bug only communicating with the server administrator and there is usually (in most cases) no ability to do it automatically. That’s why we don’t make any debug site or something like that. We just post the helper scripts to allow server administrators customize them to make their own debug pages.
Sincerely yours,

Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!