Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blake06  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2007 12:59:05 PM(UTC)
blake06

Groups: Member

My organization purchased Image Uploader 4.1.21 Dual on 1/26/07. It has been working great on our site until we recently attempted to use it with a private SSL certificate.

What do we need to do in order to make the Image Uploader work with an https connection instead of an http connection?

The upload tries multiple times to work before failing with this message (on Firefox):

"Image Uploader encountered some problem. If you see this message, contact web master."

(on IE)

"Some unexpected error occurred."

I turned the debug window on, and this is what it says (on IE):

"Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please."

We have not changed anything except that we are using from https instead of http.
Alex Makhov  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:12:38 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

Could you give the direct link to your site for us to test as a PM? It looks like there is something wrong in Image Uploader property set or something like that.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!
Alex Makhov  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:14:40 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

I have checked your site. As I see you are still using the version 4.1.1.0 of Image Uploader for ActiveX. The HTTPS problem has been fixed in 4.1.21.0 so please update to the last version available to be downloaded from our site and check if the problem is still there.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:42:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

blake06  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:03:29 PM(UTC)
blake06

Okay, I got the ActiveX version working, but the Java version still does not seem to be working correctly with HTTPS, so the site does not work with Firefox or Opera.

Is this correct for the java version?:
iu.javaAppletVersion = "2.1.21.0";

I manually cleared the Java applet cache and it seems to be downloading the new version as it should.
blake06  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2007 7:34:31 AM(UTC)
blake06

Just wondering if you are looking into this...

Thanks,
Blake
Alex Makhov  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:44:48 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

The problem was with ActiveX version of Image Uploader, not with Java one. So the code should be the following:
Code:
iu.activeXControlVersion = "4,1,21,0";

Edited by user Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:39:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

blake06  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:58:37 PM(UTC)
blake06

No, the problem IS with the java. It was originally a problem with both versions, but then you sent me the documentation on how to make sure I was using the newest version of the ActiveX version. Now, the ActiveX version works properly.

However, the Java version still does not work on our site. It works fine with http, but not with https.

blake
Alex Makhov  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2007 1:45:01 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

What does Java console tell when the problem occurs?

Edited by user Monday, October 27, 2008 8:15:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

blake06  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:56:26 PM(UTC)
blake06

I am out of town until tomorrow, but I will check then and let you know.

blake
blake06  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2007 1:01:33 AM(UTC)
blake06

I am going to send you a pm with the text from the Java console.

blake
Alex Makhov  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2007 3:54:26 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

As I answered you in my PM, here are the links to the same problem discussions:

http://forum.java.sun.com/threa...30&messageID=3477620
http://www.umich.edu/~umweb/sof...gn-discuss/msg00393.html

Edited by user Friday, February 22, 2008 2:22:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

blake06  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:13:10 AM(UTC)
blake06

Alex,

I tried to respond to your last private message, but it says that your folder capacity has been reached and that you can not receive any more messages until you delete some items. So, I'll just respond here.

Here was your last message to me:

Quote:
Hello,

I did not import the server certificate myself. This is a server-side issue so you should import your certificate to the trusted certificates store on your server. The import, I think, should be done with keytool application which is available in your JRE\Bin folder. Please try to Google how to import your certificate to the trusted certificates store by using keytool application.

Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov.

This does not sound like a server issue to me. Image Uploader is an Applet, not an application, so how can this be a server-side issue? I went ahead and e-mailed Customer Service at my shared host just to see if they might be able to help, but their response also indicates that it is not a server-side issue:

"Our servers don't have the Java Runtime Environment installed. You are talking about a Java Applet, which is executed on the client side, and not a Java application being executed on the server, so I really don't think it's a server side problem at all."

Does this imply that I would have to get each of my website users to import the Cert into the trusted store on their own client machines? This is clearly not feasible.

Any suggestions? How are other people using Image Uploader Java version with HTTPS?

Thanks,
Blake
Alex Makhov  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:43:53 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

I did not say the problem is in Java on your server. I just said the problem is with incorrectly imported certificates which should be done to use HTTPS on your server. That’s why this is a server-side issue. To use Image Uploader and HTTPS you should correctly import your certificate to your server trusted certificates store.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

blake06  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:46:50 PM(UTC)
blake06

I sent your last message to the support at my shared host, and here is their exact response:

"We don't actually have JRE installed on our systems, therefore it's impossible that this certificate was "imported incorrectly" because it hasn't been "imported" at all.

Even if JRE was installed on our systems, the applet is running client-side, it wouldn't be possible for the applet to communicate or interact with JRE unless it's performing some server-side functions as well, in which case, it would be unsupported by us.

We provide standard SSL over HTTP using Apaches in-built functionality."

I just really don't know where to go from here. You keep talking about importing the certificate into the trusted store, but as far as I can tell, that is an issue related to the Java Runtime. There is no trusted store on our web server. The only thing we did on the server was to install the certificate in Apache.

It still seems that if the Image Uploader applet is looking in the trusted store, then it must be the trusted store on the client machine, because the applet is being run by the JRE on the client machine. Is this not correct?
Alex Makhov  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:23:50 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello Blake,

I will try to solve this problem this few days. If you did not sent me your site login instructions yet please send it by PM and I will check it.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

blake06  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 4:43:18 AM(UTC)
blake06

Alex,

Well, I've done some more testing, and it turns out that this problem only seems to be occurring on 1 computer. That is probably why you haven't been able to reproduce the error.

I guess I will have to look into why this 1 computer will not work with the Java version. If I have any more questions I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Blake
Alex Makhov  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 12:30:38 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

OK, I will be waiting for the results of testing.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov