Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
deshg  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:59:43 AM(UTC)
deshg

Groups: Member

I am interested in purchasing Image Uploader (for a single domain) and am considering which version to buy. I am trying to keep cost down so i am considering purchasing just the java applet version.

Presumably i'm right in saying that most browsers that support ActiveX will also support Java, so the java applet will be accessible by prety much the same number of people as the dual version (obviously i don't want to restrict users by it not being compatible)?

The only difference i could find between the two was being able to reorder images in the activex version and not in the java version, and i don't need to be able to do this, are there any other reasons why dual would be better than the java only option that i'm missing?

Thanks very much for anybodys thoughts,

Dave
Fedor  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2007 7:19:40 AM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hello Dave,

You can find the comparison of ActiveX and Java version here:

http://www.aurigma.com/Products/ImageUploader/Comparison.aspx

In general you are right, that all users can run Java applets, but for best user experience we recommend to use ActiveX + Java as not all users have Java running. Also ActiveX version provides more native user interface for Windows users. But in general you can go with Java applet only - at least it will work. :)
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
deshg  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2007 11:32:45 AM(UTC)
deshg

Thanks for your speedy reply. You say "we recommend to use ActiveX + Java as not all users have Java running". Surely pretty much all users with activex running are likely to have java running? doesn't java come installed with later versions of internet explorer now and don't you also need a relatively new version of ie to use activex (eg if you have activex then you probably have java)?

Or is there actually likely to be users with activex capabilities but not java, hence they wouldn't be able to use the upload?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave
George Ulyanov  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:08:35 PM(UTC)
George Ulyanov

Hello Dave,

For prevent using Java in Internet Explorer you can use the specialized members from the helper script ("iuembed.js"):

iu.activeXControlEnabled = true; // this tells Image Uploader to use ActiveX version in IE instead of Java version.

iu.javaAppletEnabled = true; // this tells, that Java also needed, but it'll run only in non-IE like broswers (Safari, Firefox, Opera, etc.).

The uploaded data is equal in both versions, so it's guaranteed that your server will got the identical data.
Best regards,
George Ulyanov
deshg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:34:43 PM(UTC)
deshg

Thanks for your reply George, i am currently using that to test the Java version. I was just trying to establish if i was going to exclude any/many users by just purchasing the java only version:

Presumably most people with activex installed will also have java installed? Are there likely to be any/many people who could access the activex version, but not access the java version?

Thanks very much for your help,

Dave
Fedor  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 10:45:00 AM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Dave,

I think the best way to know how many users will miss possibility to use Java Image Uploader is either to check your web site statistics of Java runtime availability or at least check the same worldwide one.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov