Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frankly  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 7:22:17 AM(UTC)
frankly

Groups: Member

Hello. I'm just wondering if anybody has had issues running image uploader in Firefox 2.0.0.5 in a asp.net 2.0 environment. Apparently a FF update was done on July 17th and I haven't been able to get image uploader working again. The java version works correctly for previous versions of Firefox and any other browser but there's something with this current build of Firefox.

What happens is that when the image uploader tries to access the page to process the image, it is denied access. It's like the processing page has no session. I'll change the security settings for that page to be unprotected and then the processing page will get accessed but then it is missing all session state. I've tried the same code in previous versions of Firefox (2.0.0.3) and it works fine.

I'm running my application using asp.net with .NET framework 2.0 (C#2.0). If you have the same setup can somebody please check to see if this works for them. It works for me using the 1.0 Framework. It's just the combination of FF 2.0.0.5, .NET framework 2.0 and any version of image uploader doesn't work well together for me.

* What is the version of Image Uploader?
any version of the Java image uploader

* Which OS were you using, when the problem occurred?
have tried Firefox 2.0.0.5 on both Windows XP and MacOS X. Server is running ASP.NET 2.0/C# 2.0

* Which browser were you using?
Firefox 2.0.0.5 (doesn't work) Firefox 2.0.0.3 (works)

* Was the problem reproducible? On which machines you were able to reproduce it?
yes. everytime. as long as the processing page tries to access some form of session state either via a session variable or authentication scheme.

* Does Image Uploader still work when you try our samples (both online and local)?
no. I've tried the basic example and I get the same result. If I remove authentication and do nothing in the processing code then it works fine but there is no session state.
LTG  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:54:59 AM(UTC)
LTG

Quote:
frankly (7/30/2007)
Hello. I'm just wondering if anybody has had issues running image uploader in Firefox 2.0.0.5 in a asp.net 2.0 environment.

Yes Frankly, two others are having the same problem, the posts are below.

I can't say for sure if it's a bug in Aurigma or Firefox, but just because it works in FF2.0.0.3 doesn't prove it's FF, because FF changes could have exposed a hidden problem in Aurigma.

Regardless since we are three customers having the same issue we need Aurigma's help because we don't have their source code to debug into it.

http://www.aurigma.com/Forums/Topic6895-12-1.aspx

http://www.aurigma.com/Forums/Topic6951-12-1.aspx
frankly  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:27:01 PM(UTC)
frankly

Thanks LTG. I'll subscribe to that thread as well. Firefox 2.0.0.6 was just released. Same problem there. I think you're correct in saying it's an underlying problem with Image Uploader. Hopefully they're able to resolve this issue soon.
George Ulyanov  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:25:12 PM(UTC)
George Ulyanov

LTG,

Have you already contacted with our support team? Have you sent them additional information, such as link to the web page?
Best regards,
George Ulyanov
George Ulyanov  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:27:38 PM(UTC)
George Ulyanov

Hello Frankly,

Could you provide us the direct link to the page with Image Uploader for its testing? Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
George Ulyanov
frankly  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:03:16 AM(UTC)
frankly

Hello George.

Thanks for your response. I don't have a direct link to that page for you right now. I can create something for you to test out though. It requires authentication. I've created something quickly at http://64.114.165.148

When you click "Login" it will create a session for you. Drag an image over and click upload. If you're using FF 2.0.0.5 or 2.0.0.6 it will start the upload but it will stop and just say "waiting for retry...". IE, Safari, Opera, and earlier versions of FF will work though. What happens is that the code processing page has lost it's ASP.NET session so access to that processing page is being denied. I've tried just making that page accessible but the session state is still lost so that does not solve the problem.
LTG  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:01:21 AM(UTC)
LTG

Quote:
George Ulyanov (8/1/2007)
LTG,

Have you already contacted with our support team?

Yes George I have contacted support with all the information requested to make a "good support request".

I am glad to provide any additional information as well.

Now it seems there are four people experiencing the same issue: mikep, frankly, petersmith, and myself (LTG).

Have you guys started to debug into the issue yet?

thanks.
LTG  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:02:12 PM(UTC)
LTG

To update the others, I just received a test version from the support team.

However the exact same problem occurs.

The test version was 2.5.40.0. The shipping version is 2.5.35.0.

I'm not sure what was changed, but evidently we need to make another attempt.

Regards,
LTG
fodaley  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 4:16:30 AM(UTC)
fodaley

Frankly,
What operating system is your host machine running on?

I am having the exact same issue. I initially thought it was related to a Windows Update - but after installing most updates on an unaffected machine, nothing happened. Then FF wanted to upgrade to 2.0.0.6 and BAM! The uploader on the unaffected machine stopped working. However, when it's not in a directory that requires session state, just like you said, everything works fine.

This only happens on the Windows XP Pro/Home & Vista development machines. On our Windows 2003 Server w/ SP2, things are fine. I've also put it on a Linux machine, and it's fine as well.

* What is the version of Image Uploader?
any version of the Java image uploader, 4.5 to be exact

* Which OS were you using, when the problem occurred?
have tried Firefox 2.0.0.6 on both Windows XP Home, XP Pro, Vista

* Which browser were you using?
Firefox 2.0.0.6, IE6, IE7

* Was the problem reproducible? On which machines you were able to reproduce it?
yes. everytime. as long as the processing page tries to access some form of session state either via a session variable or authentication scheme.

* Does Image Uploader still work when you try our samples (both online and local)?
no. I've tried the basic example and I get the same result. If I remove authentication and do nothing in the processing code then it works fine but there is no session state.
fodaley  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 4:21:40 AM(UTC)
fodaley

To clarify,
I can not even load the uploader to access the processing page (processing page is at a seperate page)

But in IE6/IE7 and FF 2.0.0.6 the uploader does not load. I just get a big X mark within the box. The size of the box are the exact dimensions I specify the uploader to be.

In the JAVA Console, I get this error

Code:
java.lang.ClassFormatError: Incompatible magic value 218762506 in class file com/aurigma/imageuploader/ImageUploader
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Edited by user Monday, December 17, 2007 1:31:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankly  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 7:43:24 AM(UTC)
frankly

Hi fodaley,

I'm using a WinXP machine to do all this. The web server is running Windows Server 2003.

Since you can't even get the Image Uploader applet loaded I think your problem may be different from mine. I did not have that issue at all. My issue only occurs when I click "Send" and try to upload the image. When the applet tries to access the processing page, it will not be authorized to access it. That's b/c that page has lost it's session state.

If you get a big X, I would think that your codebase parameter in your script is pointing to the wrong place. I'm sure you've checked this out though. I haven't experienced the same error that you're having. Sorry I can't be much help there.
fodaley  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 11:45:07 PM(UTC)
fodaley

I would agree with you that it's a code based parameter that's causing the issue - except I've used the exact code elsewhere and it works fine on certain machines.

I've used the code on my desktop (XP Pro, FF 2.0.0.4 (I didn't check the Version, but control panel says 2.0.0.4)) in the same directory structure and it was fine. Once I upgraded to FF 2.0.0.6 I receive the X.

I currently have the code on a Windows 2003 Machine in a session required directory and it works fine. I need to verify what version of FF is on the machine, but sadly I do not have direct access. It is possible that it does not have FF 2.0.0.5/2.0.0.6.

On the machines where I can not initiate the uploader - once I move it out of the session required directory it is fine. I've moved it to the root, but also other ASP directories like App_themes, App_Code just for the heck of it.

Lastly, I started testing the uploader 2 months ago. I came back to it the other day, without having to touch the pages that the uploader resides on, it just wouldn't work. I initially thought it was a windows update, but turns out to be FF.

BTW I am currently using a trial version still, I was going to get a license but will be putting it off till this is solved :P
fodaley  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2007 7:27:43 AM(UTC)
fodaley

Ok, the Window 2003 Server where the code works on is running FF 2.0.0.3. Should I go ahead and use the uploader, and never upgrade past FF 2.0.0.5? How come not many people are posting similar errors? It seems like a consistent error (at least on my side) that if you have > 2.0.0.5 the uploader fails.
far41  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:25:35 AM(UTC)
far41

Hi all,

I think I am in the same case as you !

But it is hard to tell what's going on...

I have 2 similar computers (apparently!) here : XP SP2 - java 1.5 - FF 2.0.0.6, and image uploader 4.1

On loads files correctly, the other one always says what you mentionned : "waiting for a retry"

A I have complains from members with the same error.

I have tried francky's example and it works fine for me on my development pc. But when trying to install 4.5 with the exact same configuration (without cache as francky did), then it gives me "waiting for a retry" again and stops there.

Do you have some more information to help me ?

It's very urgent since members are stopped right now !

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
George Ulyanov  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:08:22 PM(UTC)
George Ulyanov

Hello everyone,

To those who experienced problem with the sessions, I need to tell you that we are already working on this problem. Whether it's Firefox problem or Image Uploader, anyway, we are searching solution for this (would it be workaround or bug-fix - it doesn't matter).
Best regards,
George Ulyanov
veji  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 11:45:37 PM(UTC)
veji

I'm having the same problem. FF 2.0.0.6, WinXP, using Sessions. Java client version 1.6. I submitted email but received no reply. I am a licensed customer.

The behavior I see is that the client begins uploading the first file but, when it finishes (e.g. 35k of 35k), it says "Waiting for retry..." and starts over. This repeats until the applet just fails and a MessageBox is shown saying "Contact the webmaster." or such.

Another friend of mine, on Windows using FF, saw the "Cannot find server or proxy" error messagebox.

The ActiveX component is working and the Java applet USED to work well.
jen  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 2:32:06 PM(UTC)
jen

George, can you provide us with an ETA for the fix.

This is a showstopper and its costing me money.
LTG  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 11:30:04 PM(UTC)
LTG

To help inform you all, I have just received the result from Aurigma support and it's not good.

They explain the problem is because FireFox now implements a security feature for cookies called "HttpOnly", which disallows javascript from reading cookies on the client that are marked HttpOnly.

Since ASP.Net session marks it's cookies this way, Aurigma apparently claims there is no way for them to read in the existing cookies and pass them on to the UploadCompleted page.

Here's the good part, Aurigma's proposal to solve the problem: Stop using the Session feature in ASP.Net!

This seems crazy as it's a a basic feature that is heavily used on many sites.

So I have a few questions:
1) IE7 already implements this HttpOnly security feature and Session still works fine with ActiveX ImageUploader. Why?

2) Is Aurigma going to now post warnings signs on the home page saying "Don't buy this product if you use ASP.Net and Session"?

3) Is there not a possible work around? For example:

a) It seems on firefox XMLHTTPRequest provides a workaround to read the cookies. Not sure if this works on Safari but this would fix the FireFox problem no?

b) Should an AspSession property be added to the ImageUploader where we can set the Session contents into the property, and then ImageUploader could use this to restore the cookies properly?

I don't know how good these solutions are, I'm just brainstorming ideas. But do we have any other option?
far41  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 12:26:27 AM(UTC)
far41

Hi,

It looks like I got a similar answer, and reaction...

But I am unsure about what you mean with the use of session and I would appreciate if you could help me understand (I must be stupid, sorry !).
In my case, under asp.net 2.0, I am using the membership class : each user is connected to be able to reach the upload. The asp.net authentication goes through cookies as far as I know.
So I am not using any session like session("id")=id to transmit a user id for instance.

Or are you talking about the page directive enablesessionstate ?

Just to sum up my situation I would say to the main error I get is to have the "waiting for retry" message, and after all the message talks about "server error - contact us"
And I can also have a cache error message (cache-archive doesn't match cache-version).

I have 4.1 and tried the new .js which was supposed to fix: doesn't work.
Same with 4.5

And what is interesting to notice is that:
- not all 2.0.0.6 are concerned : some of them work apparently
- most of the demo samples are crashing too (problem to instal, to connect to the server...)

And as far as I know there is no session there.

Could you please help me about my session questions ?

Is it really a session issue considering that even demo samples have problems ? Can't it be with cookies ?

Anyway we absolutely need quick answers since FF users have to be able to download !

Thanks

Edited by user Monday, December 17, 2007 7:26:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LTG  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 12:57:17 AM(UTC)
LTG

Hi Far,

The problem is technically with cookies, not with Session. It just so happens that the primary way Session is used depends on HTTPOnly cookies.

So if you are depending on HTTPOnly cookies being maintained during the ImageUpload pages, they will just be gone and you will have a problem.

However I don't believe the Aurigma samples use cookies at all, so if the samples don't work then this is not your problem. Moreover, it's probably a problem with your installation or configuration, because the samples seem to be working fine with FireFox.