Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AdeV  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:49:20 AM(UTC)
AdeV

Groups: Member

OK, I've been using FlashChart for a few years now, and it's great - very reliable, and usefully featured. However, I've just started a new version of the app which uses it, and have immediately run into problems....

First, a spot of background: The web app, written in ASP.NET, collates data (potentially a LOT of data), condenses it into a FlashChart graph, which is saved & then displayed on the resulting web page. This works very well...

...unless there's a lot of data - in which case, the data processing ends up taking so long, the web page times out before it can be displayed...

In order to get around that problem, I've taken the Class which generates the flash chart, added a few nuts & bolts, and I now run it in a separate thread. Thus, the website can remain responsive (the user gets a "working...." note while the report is being built); and the graph is loaded up when it's ready.

This has, however, thrown a couple of new problems:

1) FlashChart thinks it's in demo mode, so I get the "demo version for evaluation purposes only" notice
2) If 2 users simultaneously request graphs, then at least one of those graphs ends up corrupted...

I'm guessing that FlashChart isn't thread-safe? If so, do I need to do a SyncLock on it? And how do I solve the "demo version" problem?

The app works like this:

[website] -> requests: buildGraph.aspx using XHTTPResponse returns: XML data including the path of the new .swf file
buildgraph.aspx -> creates a GraphClass object, which is in a separate DLL
GraphClass -> creates a new object from innerGraphClass, and starts it on a new thread
innerGraphClass gets the data & then calls *another* class to actually build the graph.

Any ideas, anyone?
Dmitry  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:13:35 PM(UTC)
Dmitry

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hello,

Try to solve "demo mode" problem by the first way to put a license key into the application.

As for the second problem, could you please send us your corrupted .swf file, the data used to create the chart and design parameters?

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:47:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sincerely yours,
Dmitry Sevostyanov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!
AdeV  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2007 4:07:28 AM(UTC)
AdeV

Groups: Member

Hi there,

The second way of applying the licence file worked (took me a couple of goes to get it right, but got there in the end), thanks.

The corrupt SWF file issue seems to have gone away now I run the actual graph generator in a single thread (it was multi-threaded). Basically, I put a SyncLock/End SyncLock pair around the call to the generator.

So, problem resolved, many thanks :)