Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mona Troy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:54:15 AM(UTC)
Mona Troy

Groups: Member

Dear Aurigma/Other fellow users;

We are registered users of Aurigma Image Uploader v.4.1 (Dual). I am writing to you about two different issues, as follows:

1. The Image Uploader control is acting/responding very slowly on our website. There is a long delay (30-90+ seconds each time), sometimes up to 2 minutes each time, during more than one stage of the process. This portion of our site is in ASP .NET. Here's what happens:

a. When the client-side PC loads the page where the Image Uploader Control is embedded (using MS-Internet Explorer 7.0), it takes up to 1-2 minutes for the message to appear in the browser's bar, asking the user if they trust the ActiveX control and/or wish to allow it. We are using a fast broadband connection, and a fast Windows PC client with more than enough RAM, so that is not the issue. This delay of up to 1 minute occurs even before the browser shows the message asking the user (client) if they trust the add-on and wish to allow it. While the user sits there waiting, nothing seems to be happening, and the user may get confused/impatient, decide to close the browser window, and exit (resulting in possible loss of business).

b. Then, when the user Clicks to allow/trust the ActiveX control to run, another long delay of 1-2 minutes occurs before the next message pops up asking them to Install Aurigma Image Uploader. At this point we may really lose the customer because nothing seems to be happening, and the delay is too long. Many Internet users would not have the patience to wait for this long.

c. Finally, a third delay occurs while the Installation is in progress. It takes another 1-2 minutes for the Installation to do what it needs to do in the background, and the user may not have the patience to wait for all of these processes to complete.

Question 1: Are these delays normal or do we need to tweak something? Please advise in detail as to what we can do to speed up the process. This portion of our site is in ASP .NET.

2. In the next stage sometimes the Image Upload works just fine, but at other times, uploading the same image pops-up the message: "Some unexpected error occured". In other words sometimes the image uploads just fine but at other times the same image fails to upload, and results in the "Some unexpected error occured" message. We have tried using the Debug Window but sometimes the Debug Window opens up, sometimes it does not, and the file upload is unpredictable (the same file upload works at times, and does not work at other times).

Question 2: What are some possible causes of the "Some unexpected error occured" message? Please advise.

Your assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Mona.

Alex Makhov  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:57:38 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello Mona,

1. It really takes a long time to install Image Uploader sometimes. I see two reasons:

a) ImageUploader4.cab file size is about 1MB so it takes a time to download it to the client machine;

b) The browser has to check the downloaded files and these actions take a time too.

Try to install any other ActiveX-control with the similar weight and I’m sure there will be the same problems.

2. Try to reproduce such problem with our standard samples. If the problem can be reproduced then the reason of the problem is in bad connection. Otherwise the problem is in your upload processing script.

Sincerely yours,

Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!

Mona Troy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:11:51 AM(UTC)
Mona Troy

Hello Alex;

Thank you for your note below. Much appreciated! We can understand the delay in downloading the 1 Mb .cab file, and if there is nothing much we can do about that then that is fine. However, what about the two (2) other long delays, as follows:

1. It is taking up to 1 minute for IE 7 to detect that the website wants to install the Aurigma Image Uploader, while the user sits looking at a large blank rectangle with a small generic image icon in the top left corner. Usually, a similar message pops up instantaneously for other controls. For example, if the client-PC needs to download a flash/multimedia add-on, IE 7 pops a message almost immediately that the site wants to run ActiveX, download the control, etc. Is the delay normal/standard for Image Uploader, or are we doing something wrong at our end? I am not saying that your Control is at fault. I just need to know what the correct response time is, so that we can tweak/debug our own code if needed. The attached screen capture JPG file named AurigmaError_03_There_is_a_long_delay_before_this_screen.jpg will explain this further. Note that the up to 1-minute delay occurs BEFORE this screen comes up.

2. Then, once you click in the IE 7 browser bar to allow the ActiveX content to run, it takes another minute or so before the next "Install/Don't Install" screen shows up. Again, is that delay normal/standard for Image Uploader, or are we doing something incorrectly at our end? Again, I am not saying that your Control is at fault. I just need to know what the correct response time is, so that we can tweak/debug our own code if needed. The attached screen capture JPG file named AurigmaError_05_There_is_another_long_delay_before_this_screen.jpg will explain this further. Note that the up to 1-minute delay occurs BEFORE this screen comes up.

3. Then, finally, there is the delay in actually downloading/installing the 1 Mb cab file, which is fine, I understand and accept that. However, the two long delays before that is what concerns me.

Any advice/tips to help fine-tune this would be greatly appreciated. We shall also follow your earlier advice and try to run your unmodified sample code from a test page on our site to see if the same delays are encountered, but in the meantime, please do reply to this.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Mona.

Mona Troy attached the following image(s):
AurigmaError_03_There_is_a_long_delay_before_this_screen.jpg
AurigmaError_05_There_is_another_long_delay_before_this_screen.jpg
Alex Makhov  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:07:28 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

As I told you in my email message such delays are normal. The one of the reasons could be some antivirus software installed on your machine which checks the downloaded files.

Sincerely yours,

Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!

FuckFame.nl  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 5:05:11 PM(UTC)
FuckFame.nl

If I'm allowed to add a reply to this topic:

As I read on a Microsoft (and MS-related) website, IE7 can have some delay while loading ActiveX.

But the problem might be in the styles of your website. - As I read.

So, quoting Alex, you could try setting up a simple /test/test.asp-file and re-trying using IE7.

No website-CSS styles, no hard-coded tables or anything diffrent.

What I'm trying to say is: just try to use the ''-tags in the test.asp-file which loads up the ActiveX.

If the long delay is gone, you know where to fix the problem; in your website styles.

- Frank Weima

PS: Have you tried to popup the uploader on your website?