Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stark77  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:42:59 AM(UTC)
stark77

Groups: Member

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Image Uploader Dual, and although generally it works very well, I have requirements for users to upload large numbers of images, in the hundreds or possibly even thousands.

I don't require upload of the originals, just resized thumbnails. Anything up to a hundred or so images, and there is a slight delay when adding files, where the GUI freezes. This is ok, but when I try to upload more than that, the delay gets to be very long indeed. This is all in the Java version from Firefox.

I have no requirement to display thumbnails before upload, but I'm assuming it's the thumbnail generation that is causing the problems?

I'm using the following settings:

Code:
iu.activeXControlEnabled = true;
iu.javaAppletEnabled = true;

iu.activeXControlCodeBase = "/ImageUploader4.cab";
iu.javaAppletCodeBase="/";

iu.addParam("PaneLayout", "OnePane");

iu.addParam("FolderView", "List");
iu.addParam("AllowAutoRotate", "true");
iu.addParam("AllowFolderUpload", "true");

iu.addParam("UploadSourceFile", "false");

iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1FitMode", "Fit");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Width", "600");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Height", "600");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality", "80");

iu.addParam("MaxImageWidth", "0");
iu.addParam("MinImageWidth", "0");
iu.addParam("MaxImageHeight", "0");
iu.addParam("MinImageHeight", "0");
iu.addParam("SignatureFilter", "All");

Can you suggest any ways that I can get round this delay problem when adding in a large amount of images to the upload queue?

Thanks

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:31:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stark77  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2006 2:15:22 AM(UTC)
stark77

Just to follow up to my own post, I have changed the settings now to the following:

Code:
	iu.activeXControlEnabled = true;
	iu.javaAppletEnabled = true;

iu.activeXControlCodeBase = "/ImageUploader4.cab";
	iu.javaAppletCodeBase="/";

iu.addParam("PaneLayout", "OnePane");

iu.addParam("UploadView", "Details");
	iu.addParam("AllowAutoRotate", "true");
	iu.addParam("AllowFolderUpload", "true");
	iu.addParam("EnableRotate", "false");

iu.addParam("UploadSourceFile", "false");

iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1FitMode", "Fit");
	iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Width", "600");
	iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Height", "600");
	iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality", "80");

iu.addParam("MaxImageWidth", "0");
	iu.addParam("MinImageWidth", "0");
	iu.addParam("MaxImageHeight", "0");
	iu.addParam("MinImageHeight", "0");
	iu.addParam("SignatureFilter", "All");

Setting UploadView to Details removes the need for generating thumbnails, and it's lightning quick on the ActiveX version, but anything over about 100 images in Java using either Firefox or Opera, and it just locks up completely. Have to kill the firefox process manually in the end and restart it.

What is it doing that is taking so much time and resource??

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:31:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Alex Makhov  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2006 7:07:37 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

Do you use the UploadFileCountChange event handler in your code? That could be the reason of slow speed.
As about the slow speed even in Details mode, Image Uploader reads thumbnails even if they are not shown at the present time.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!
stark77  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2006 7:50:19 PM(UTC)
stark77

Quote:
Do you use the UploadFileCountChange event handler in your code? That could be the reason of slow speed.
As about the slow speed even in Details mode, Image Uploader reads thumbnails even if they are not shown at the present time.

Nope, I don't use the UploadFileCountChange event handler.

I've changed to List mode - does that still read thumbnails? Either way, it still suffers the same terminal slowness. I just tried on a fresh XP install, Firefox 2 and a new intstall of the latest JRE, and the same problems still occur. Even when restricting the MaxFileCount to 100, it still takes minutes to process that first 100 and display them as a file list, as compared to about a second in the ActiveX version.

I don't understand why any processing needs to be done at all at this point of the process. I am building thumbnails when the actual upload occurs, but that all works very nicely and the user gets good feedback about what is going on. Before that though, it's just a case of getting a list of files from a local directory and displaying them in the applet - what is taking so long, and is there any way I can disable whatever is slowing it up?

Alex Makhov  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 1:29:13 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

We will make the following feature in Image Uploader Dual 4.1: the thumbnail generation process will be started only when Thumbnail mode is set. If the Details mode is set, the thumbnails will not be generated. So the speed is to be not as slow as now.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

stark77  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:02:10 AM(UTC)
stark77

Quote:
Alex Makhov (12/12/2006)
Hello,

We will make the following feature in Image Uploader Dual 4.1: the thumbnail generation process will be started only when Thumbnail mode is set. If the Details mode is set, the thumbnails will not be generated. So the speed is to be not as slow as now.

That's great, thanks very much! Do you believe that the thumbnail generation is probably responsible for most (if not all) of the delay I am experiencing?

Also, any idea when 4.1 might be available?
Alex Makhov  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2006 2:59:01 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

The version 4.1 will be available in January.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

stark77  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2007 6:47:50 AM(UTC)
stark77

Hi, I just downloaded the new version of image uploader, but the above mentioned feature doesn't appear to have been implemented.

When uploading using list mode, it is still very slow in the Java version, and when you switch to thumbnail mode they are instantly there, which would mean that thumbnails are still being generated when adding in list mode. Is there an additional parameter I need to set to make this work, or was it accidently missed out in this release?

Cheers

Edit: For what it's worth, I also get a load of java errors in Firefox while this thumbnail process is going on:

Code:
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Edited by user Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:29:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Alex Makhov  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2007 5:54:16 PM(UTC)
Alex Makhov

Hello,

The Lazy Thumbnails feature will be available in Image Uploader 4.5.
Sincerely yours,
Alex Makhov

stark77  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2007 11:28:20 PM(UTC)
stark77

Sorry, post was incorrect, so I removed it