Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jas0420  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2006 5:01:27 AM(UTC)
jas0420

Groups: Member

Hello, I downloaded the latest Image Uploader eval about a week ago and have been working with it as I build up a website around it. It is a very neat application and has been working flawlessly for me until today.

I'm using the 3-pane ActiveX flavor on IE6. Currently, my environment is still in development, running under Visual Studio's debug engine. Up until today, I have been doing all of my "upload" testing from a folder with 10 images in it that I was using to upload, and that still works great.

Today though, I ventured out and pointed the Uploader at a directory with quite a few more files in it (1435 to be exact). It thought about it for a few seconds and then drew in the visible thumbnails as would be expected. Pretty much immediately after I could see them, I Added about 13 - 15 of them to the lowe pane for uploading and clicked "Upload". Up to here, everything looks exactly right.

From there, I get pretty mixed results. The Progress Indicator never comes up so there's no visual indicator showing what it is doing like normal, but the file list does shrink (sometimes), so it is trying to upload. Sometimes it will upload almost all of them, sometimes none.

At this point, the Upload button never comes back to being blue/ready, and navigating to other folders doesn't solve whatever is happening. I have to restart IE at that point.

I have tried uploading as few as one file out of this larger directory, so I think the underlying issue is definitely centered around the large folder... I've let it go for about 10 minutes w/o clearing up.

Thank you for your time,
Jason
File Attachment(s):
ImageUploader Config.txt (4kb) downloaded 134 time(s).
George Ulyanov  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2006 8:25:26 PM(UTC)
George Ulyanov

Hello Jason,

I tested your code with the next files: summary count - 2000; all files are images (different formats - *.jpeg, *.png, *.gif, etc.); average size is about 100-130 KB.
The only bug has been found, concerned the hash algorithm MD5 (some files haven't been uploaded). We will fix this bug in the near release.
Try to comment the next string: "iu.addParam("HashAlgorithm", "SHA;MD5")" or use only SHA algorithm, until we will fix the problem.

No other problems have been found.

--
All the best,
Monty.
Best regards,
George Ulyanov
jas0420  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:12:18 AM(UTC)
jas0420

Hi Monty, I have pulled out the MD5 hash from the config and from the corresponding VB code on the server and still get the same result.

My files are larger than yours... Maybe that's related? Mine average 1.69MB/ea. For the appliction I'm working on, clients will need to upload the highest res .jpg that they can produce out of a 4Mp or higher camera, so the files will almost always be even larger than this. Granted, most people will have a better organization structure than I'm tinkering with and won't have so many lumped into one folder, but I'm just trying to cover my bases.

I've done a little more research after pulling out the checksums. I went back and forth making the directory bigger and smaller until I narrowed down where the issue starts happening. This is what I've found:

553 files (921,049,792 bytes total) in the upload directory and I selected the top 8 to be uploaded - Everything works great!

554 files (922,756,734 bytes total) in the upload directory and I selected the top 8 to be uploaded - Progress indicator window opens, one "tick" on the progress bar comes up, then it locks up (left it sitting there for 20 minutes before killing it)

555 files (924,127,327 bytes total) in the upload directory and I selected the top 8 to be uploaded - Progress indicator window does not open, files silently upload sometimes, sometimes not. Same as I was getting when there were 1435 files in this folder.

I then went back and placed the hash algorithm code back in place and got pretty much the same results as without it.

Thank you again for your help,
Jason
George Ulyanov  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2006 2:22:12 PM(UTC)
George Ulyanov

Quote:
1) 553 files (921,049,792 bytes total) in the upload directory and I selected the top 8 to be uploaded - Everything works great!

2) 554 files (922,756,734 bytes total) in the upload directory and I selected the top 8 to be uploaded - Progress indicator window opens, one "tick" on the progress bar comes up, then it locks up (left it sitting there for 20 minutes before killing it)

3) 555 files (924,127,327 bytes total) in the upload directory and I selected the top 8 to be uploaded - Progress indicator window does not open, files silently upload sometimes, sometimes not. Same as I was getting when there were 1435 files in this folder.

Hello Jason,

I can't reproduce the problem :(
This time I was uploading different sets of files.

At first, the count was about 1500 files and total file size was about 4 Gb. The progress bar indicator works incorreclty in this case, because Image Uploader is able to present correct information up to 2 Gb.

Then, I've uploaded about 2 Gb of the images and also no problems were appeared...

In the last experiment, the count was 600 files and total file size was 940 Mb. Nothing bad happened again.

I've also modified your Image Uploader settings in the script - Thumbnail fitting mode changed from "Fit" to "ActualSize". After that, the total size of uploading data increased from 940 Mb to approximately (940 * 3) Mb.
..and Image Uploader has uploaded this amount of images successfully again...

---
All the best,
Monty.
Best regards,
George Ulyanov
jas0420  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:36:15 AM(UTC)
jas0420

Hi Monty, thank you for looking and for your time. I'm going to be out for a few days, but I will keep working with it when I return and see if I can narrow down what is causing it. If I find anything useful, I'll pass it along.

Thank you again,
Jason