Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shawno  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2005 4:30:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Groups: Member

Just a quick question regarding the installation time on the clients PC - could you tell me what the average time to install is? We downloaded a trial version of your software last night (and it all worked fantastically!) - the only thing that we experienced was that it took approx 3 1/2 minutes to install the client (I am assuming the time to install isn't to do with Broadband speeds but with the spec of your PC?).

Is that the average time we should expect or is this something to do with the fact we are running a trial version at the moment......

Superb product though guys.........

Shawno
shawno  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 6:50:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Okay,

Did some more testing and it seemed to vary between 45 seconds to 3 1/2 minutes.....

Shawno
Fedor  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 7:09:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hello,

I am sorry for delay. We got similiar results on different configurations. It is possible that the problem is in selected compression type, which takes much time for CAB decompression. We will check it in details and will let you know.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 7:19:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Thanks Fedor,

We even noticed on one machine it installed without stopping, whereas on others it stopped half way through with something about agreeing to install the active X and why Active X can be harmful to your PC. I image this would have to do with the security settings the user has on their PC?

Is there any plans in the future release to tell users how far they are through the 'initial' installation of the Active X component? Staring at a blank grey screen does not you confidence if the install is working or not? Or maybe this is possible now?

Shawno
Fedor  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 7:38:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

We even noticed on one machine it installed without stopping, whereas on others it stopped half way through with something about agreeing to install the active X and why Active X can be harmful to your PC. I image this would have to do with the security settings the user has on their PC?

Windows XP Service Pack 2 always warns for any ActiveX control that it can be harmful for the computer. After clicking on information bar ActiveX control will be installed as well.

Is there any plans in the future release to tell users how far they are through the 'initial' installation of the Active X component? Staring at a blank grey screen does not you confidence if the install is working or not? Or maybe this is possible now?

Please read Compatibility Recommendations for Windows XP Service Pack 2. I think it contains what you need.

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 8:19:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Thanks Fedor!

I also found this Detecting Whether Image Uploader is Already Installed

This is particularly relevant as well. Currently we use the a simple 'Choose File 1', 'Choose File 2' method which is best because you don't have to worry about different browsers. So if I am not mistaking this script does 2 checks:

1) If ImageUploader is already installed
2) If the browser is compatible

If (1) is TRUE then it continues
If (1) is FALSE then it prompts the user to install ImageUploader
If (2) is TRUE then it continues
If (2) is FALSE - then this could revert back to the method we currently use now - simply 'Choose File 1' scenario above?

Regards,

Shawno
Fedor  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 8:36:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

It seems algorithm is correct.

BTW we are working over Image Uploader Java Edition now:

View post

It will on most of platforms (Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and browsers (IE, Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror, Safar). We wil ship it with script, which will check whether browser support ActiveX, Java, or just simple html forms.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 8:42:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Very interesting.

Apart from the obvious benefit of the Java version being able to service more platforms, what are the other benefits this Java edition will have over Active-X? ie quicker to install?

Fedor  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 9:15:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

It is possible that Java Version will be a bit quicker to install, but in general it will be behind ActiveX version in features at least in first release.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 9:31:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Ok then....we will wait and see what the Java version looks like before we consider upgrading.

We have just been shopping and you should see an order there from us - we have paid using Paypal but at the moment it is showing as 'unpaid' at your end.

Another question for you - you can drag-n-drop to add images, but if you try to remove the photos by drag-n-drop it won't? Is that something that could be changed in v3.5?
Fedor  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 10:00:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

Ok then....we will wait and see what the Java version looks like before we consider upgrading.

We have just been shopping and you should see an order there from us (in the name Travis) - we have paid using Paypal but at the moment it is showing as 'unpaid' at your end.'

Thank you for your purchase. We have processed your order and emailed you details. We look forward for your answer.

Another question for you - you can drag-n-drop to add images, but if you try to remove the photos by drag-n-drop it won't? Is that something that could be changed in v3.5?

I think we will not implement this feature as it will conflict with standard windows drag&drop behaviour. When we drag files from Image Uploader and drop them on Internet Explorer we should not delete them, but display content of this file . If you will drag&drop files from Windows Explorer to Internet Explorer you will see what I mean.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 11:09:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Thanks for sending through the key.

In regards to this:

I think we will not implement this feature as it will conflict with standard windows drag&drop behaviour. When we drag files from Image Uploader and drop them on Internet Explorer we should not delete them, but display content of this file . If you will drag&drop files from Windows Explorer to Internet Explorer you will see what I mean.

I am not sure if I explained myself well. If I try to drag-n-drop the images from the image uploader (the bottom window of the two) they won't go back up to the windows explorer section (the top window).

To be clear, I can drag image "abc.jpg" from Windows Exlorer down to Image Uploader.

But if I then decide that I don't want to upload image "abc.jpg" anymore, I can't drag it out of Image uploader. The only way I can remove it is by right mouse clicking and say 'Remove from upload list'.

Does that make sense?
Fedor  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2005 11:23:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

But if I then decide that I don't want to upload image "abc.jpg" anymore, I can't drag it out of Image uploader. The only way I can remove it is by right mouse clicking and say 'Remove from upload list'.

Does that make sense?

Yes, we will think how to make it more convinient in version 3.5.

BTW, you can also remove files using upload list buttons which you can turn on using ShowUploadListButtons property.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:24:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:28:00 AM(UTC)
shawno

Thanks Fedor.

Also it would also be good if a user could change the order of the images once they are in the image uploader (in three pane mode). Currently a user would need to add one image at a time to get the order right - this could become quite frustrating as well.

Especially if you added 50 photos and then realised photo 45 should have been in photo order number 24 (with means the old photo 24 should be moved to position 25, and the old photo 25 moved to position 26 etc etc).......
Fedor  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2005 11:13:00 AM(UTC)
Fedor

Also it would also be good if a user could change the order of the images once they are in the image uploader (in three pane mode). Currently a user would need to add one image at a time to get the order right - this could become quite frustrating as well.

Especially if you added 50 photos and then realised photo 45 should have been in photo order number 24 (with means the old photo 24 should be moved to position 25, and the old photo 25 moved to position 26 etc etc).......

We didn't plan to implement this feature in upcoming 3.5 version. If you need it urgently, please contact with us at sales@aurigma.com.

Edited by user Friday, May 23, 2008 3:39:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2005 2:29:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

The email has been sent.

Once you have the 'delete photo' and 'change sort order of photos' added, I'd say there couldn't be much else you'd need to add......

Fantastic product and great instructions.

The only thing I have found that is that I can't bookmark some of the 'support' pages because there is not a unique url for each page. For example, I managed to find a page where you can color code panes 1,2 & 3 of the image uploader to make it easy for the novice (called "Frame Color"). I copied the URL of that page but unfortunately it wasn't a unique URL for that page (which I have since found is for most pages when you are 'clicking through'.....do you think you could send me through the link for that section? Is there any way to make those URL's more bookmark friendly? I even tried doing a search on color frames (which was the title of that section) with no real luck (636 results!)......

Regards,

Shawno
shawno  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 6:00:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Okay,

I found this section I couldn't find after i switched from my Mac over to a PC.

In Safari for some reason I don't get the right hand side folder tree - now that I have found this - much much easier!.....

Fedor  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 6:03:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

Once you have the 'delete photo' and 'change sort order of photos' added, I'd say there couldn't be much else you'd need to add......

Fantastic product and great instructions.

Thank you, we will try to implement your wishes in next version.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
Fedor  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 6:05:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

I found this section I couldn't find after i switched from my Mac over to a PC.

In Safari for some reason I don't get the right hand side folder tree - now that I have found this - much much easier!.....

What version of Mac OS do you use? It should work on last Safari versions.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
shawno  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 6:25:00 PM(UTC)
shawno

Great Fedor,

I am using 10.3x - I'll check when I get home 2nite again - maybe its me just not looking hard enough!

Once again - great product!

Shawno