Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dtrr  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2004 5:14:00 AM(UTC)
dtrr

Groups: Member

I am trying to build a slide-show of sorts that users can create online dynamically. I want the users to be able to save their output as a .avi file, so AVI Processor seems to be a good solution.

The main probem I'm having, though, is being able to control the frame rate on the fly. I'd like one picture to display for, say 5 seconds and another to display for 4. The only way I can see to do that with AVI Processor is to set the FramesPerSecond to 1 and load the first image 5 times and the second image 4. The main problem with this is that the file size goes up with each duplicated image.

I even tried saving the first slide as its own movie with a FramesPerSecond of 5 and the second as its own movie with a FramesPerSecond of 4, then combining the two movies into a third, but the third movie ignores the settings of the first two and uses its own.

Anybody have any suggestions for doing this more efficiently?

Thanks

Fedor  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2004 3:41:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hello,

Unfortunately AVI Processor does not allow merely add a frame and specify how long to display it. I even think it is not feasible with AVI format.

So the single way to achieve this would be adding the same frame several times to achieve this effect. Fortunately compression ratio for such videos should be quite good (depending on compression algorithm).

Alternatively you could use animated GIF instead of AVI. This format is better adapted for your needs - for each frame you just specify delay time. However animated GIF also have some disadvantages:

• Images can be only 8-bits per pixel (or less). Therefore if you are combining video from photos, you need to reduce colors and it may be looking not very beautiful. Besides, it will work quite slow.

• You cannot add soundtrack to animated GIF.

• GIF format is not intended to create long movies, so I expect there can be some problems with players if you create large files.

But anyway, I think it makes sense for you to consider this alternative.

To create animated GIF files, you can use Graphics Mill. As far as I remember there is a code sample for animated GIFs in Graphics Mill forum. But anyway, if you have any questions regarding it, please feel free to post a message there.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards,

Fedor Skvortsov