Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrAiNumbc  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2004 3:41:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I posted a message about this a while back, but never had this issue resolved. Is there a way to have images resized on the client size BEFORE they are uploaded. I don't mean having the thumbnail resized. I mean the actual image.

The reason I ask is that the images people are uploading to my site are coming from digital cameras. These photos are huge (3200x2880 resolution or whatever) and are a few megabytes in size. The people doing the upload aren't the smartest people and don't know how to open up photos in MS Paint to resize them, yet having them upload a few photos, a few megs each, is killing my bandwidth.

I read the following article:

http://www.aurigma.com/d...gandOptimizingImages.htm

But this seems to only deal with resizing the thumbnails. What parameters should I change if I want an image to be resized CLIENT-SIDE to about 640-480 BEFORE the upload process has begun?

Thanks ;)

->Brian Lorraine

Parliament Design

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:18:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BrAiNumbc  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2004 5:35:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I looked through some previous posts to research this. I added the following code to my page:

Code:
<param name="UploadSourceFile" value="False">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1FitMode" value="fit">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1Width" value="640">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1Height" value="640">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality" value="75">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1FitMode" value="fit">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1Width" value="120">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1Height" value="120">
<param name="UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality" value="75">

To test this, I originally I had 5 files, each 600something Kb a piece. I uploaded them... and I get a progress while it was uploading saying the total amount ebing uploaded was about 3,500,000 bytes or so.

I added the above lines of code, tried again, and it's still passing 3.5 megs of info. HOWEVER, the actual sized of the files that are being saved are half the size. So it appears almost as if the JpegQuality parameter is working, but the rest of them aren't. This is great for saving space on my server, but it defeats the purpose of saving bandwidth.

And seeing as how the amount of data being transfered it still the same, it still seems almost like the original image is being transfered and the quality isnt being reduced until 75 until after. Weird.

========================================================

02/14/2008, Fedor

This topic is out of date.

You should use iuembed.js syntax now:

Code:
iu.addParam("UploadSourceFile", "False");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1FitMode", "fit");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Width", "640");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Height", "640");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality", "75");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1FitMode", "fit");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Width", "120");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1Height", "120");
iu.addParam("UploadThumbnail1JpegQuality", "75");

========================================================

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:00:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bizzy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2004 12:25:00 PM(UTC)
bizzy

The Image Uploader does upload thumbnails at desired quality after doing the necessary on the client pc itself. To check this see the time to transfer with UploadSourceFile=True and no thumbnails and then do the reverse with UploadSourceFile=False and include thumbnails.

I will be surprised if you do not see a big difference in upload time which means you saved bandwidth and reduced quality - cannot have both. Again the difference is more noticeable in case of huge photo files and using quality of 65% or around. Dimensions of width, height are also big factors.

ImageUploader has a design issue with showing the source file size though you use UploadSourceFile=False when you select the files - that is misleading and deceptive especially if you want to set upload file size limit options. When UploadSourceFile=False it should show the size of the thumbnails it will generate but unfortunately it is not designed that way.

Hope this helps.