Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
praxisinc  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2004 1:00:00 AM(UTC)
praxisinc

Groups: Member

A couple of questions here:

1. How many MB can I upload per time without problems?
2. For question number 1, do I have to consider the size of the Original Photo? Because I'm using the paramether for thumbnail and resize photo, so I get a thumbnails(0.01MB) and a resize photo (0.09MB) in my server.
3. For a high volume upload, which option is better to use between: "All Files at One Time" or "Uploading Files One by One Separately"? And how do I set it up?

Thanks for your great support.

Fedor  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2004 1:32:00 AM(UTC)
Fedor

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 74 post(s)
1. How many MB can I upload per time without problems?

We tested Image Uploader with up to 1 GB upload. Image Uploader is just client-side component, and doesn't have any explicit limitations of total upload size. On other side you should use appropriate server envirionment for volume concurrent upload. First of all you should use correct upload software on server-side which doesn't cache incoming request from user in server memory. ASP.NET, ColdFusion, some ASP components, and Perl scripts have such problems.

3. For a high volume upload, which option is better to use between: "All Files at One Time" or "Uploading Files One by One Separately"? And how do I set it up?

We recommend to use Uploading Files One by One Separately, as it reduces size of one request, as well as give possibility to add upload auto-recovering.

You can set it using UploadMode property.

Code:
<param name="UploadMode" value="Separate">

See also UploadingFilesSeparately sample in Image Uploader evaluation package and read following article for better upload modes understanding:

Uploading Files Sequentially And Concurrently

2. For question number 1, do I have to consider the size of the Original Photo? Because I'm using the paramether for thumbnail and resize photo, so I get a thumbnails(0.01MB) and a resize photo (0.09MB) in my server.

Do you upload to server original photo or just 2 thumbnails?

========================================================
02/14/2008, Fedor
This topic is out of date.

First of all you should use iuembed.js syntax now. On other side you should use FilesPerOnePackageCount property instead of UploadMode one.

Code:
iu.addParam("FilesPerOnePackageCount", "1")

========================================================

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:56:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
praxisinc  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2004 3:05:00 AM(UTC)
praxisinc

1. I only upload 2 thumbnails: first one(0.09 MB) and second one (0.01 MB). I do not upload original photo.

So according to your answer (1GB per upload - tested), I could upload 10,000 photos in 1 shot, correct?

2. The Uploding files One by One Separately: Makes the upload process longer? What is the biggest desadvantage of this method?

3. I'm using ColdFusion MX in server-side, do I have to do something special, so the server won't cache incoming request from user in server memory?

Thanks again for your awesome support!

Andrew  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2004 1:04:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
> 1. I only upload 2 thumbnails: first one(0.09 MB) and second one (0.01 MB). I do not upload original photo.

So according to your answer (1GB per upload - tested), I could upload 10,000 photos in 1 shot, correct?

We have tested it with 1GB, but it does not mean that Image Uploader cannot handle more data. :) So 10000 photos per time is guaranteed, but actually it should be able to upload more.

> 2. The Uploding files One by One Separately: Makes the upload process longer? What is the biggest desadvantage of this method?

It has slight overhead (because it needs to establish connection when each new file is uploaded and disconnect from server when it finishes upload), but it is not significant comparing to total upload speed.

> 3. I'm using ColdFusion MX in server-side, do I have to do something special, so the server won't cache incoming request from user in server memory?

I am not sure how does it work in ColdFusion, and if there are any third-party solutions which are optimized for big uploads, however using separate upload mode should eliminate the problem. Even if it caches requests, it would cache only single file which is currently (1MB in your case), it is not a big problem.
praxisinc  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2004 12:39:00 AM(UTC)
praxisinc

Excellent!

A couple more about uploading:

1. Can Image Uploader upload Folders? I mean, can I select (checkbox) for example 5 folders and then click upload? If so, how does it work ?

2. I know I can upload, JPG, GIF, and in version 3, TIFF and PSD, correct?. Is there a way, the user can select any of these image types and in the upload process when the program creates the 2 thumbnails, these thumbnails become JPGs?

Thanks a lot!
Fedor  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2004 2:10:00 AM(UTC)
Fedor

1. Can Image Uploader upload Folders? I mean, can I select (checkbox) for example 5 folders and then click upload? If so, how does it work ?

One pane layout supports adding entire folder. This feature is available starting from version 2.5.

See screenshots in the bottom of page to know how it looks.

Do you want to use with two panes layout?

2. I know I can upload, JPG, GIF, and in version 3, TIFF and PSD, correct?. Is there a way, the user can select any of these image types and in the upload process when the program creates the 2 thumbnails, these thumbnails become JPGs?

Yes, it works such way for BMP and GIF files now. The thumbnails for these file types are sent to server in JPEG format. The same way it will work and for other formats.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:17:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov
praxisinc  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2004 4:07:00 AM(UTC)
praxisinc

I'm using the version: "Looking Like File Open Dialog"

How can I activate this "forder" option on this look?

How does it work? I mean, If there are files inside the folder, it will upload them and put them under the same folder name on the server, correct?

But, how about if inside of this folders there are more folders?

Fedor Thanks a lot for your great support!
praxisinc  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2004 8:13:00 AM(UTC)
praxisinc

Please...can you answer my last Post thanks a lot! (here below, or above)

How does it work? I mean, If there are files inside the folder, it will upload them and put them under the same folder name on the server, correct?

Fedor Thanks a lot for your great support!
Fedor  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:52:00 PM(UTC)
Fedor

I am sorry for delay.

In "Looking Like File Open Dialog" sample we use actually two panes layout. Folder Tree is just hidden on that sample, but it has behaviour of two panes layout. In this sample we select files from one folder only.

On other side one payout layout has basket like behaviour and can contain files from different folders, and when we click on "Add Folders..." button, we just add all files from specified folder and its subfolders to list.

If we will add marking folder for upload with checkboxes, then Image Uploader should upload files from folder and its subfolder to server as you say. This feature is unsupported in current version, but we will add it in further versions.

Files from subfolders also should be uploaded.
Best regards,
Fedor Skvortsov