Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ktola  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2004 9:41:00 PM(UTC)
ktola

Groups: Member

First of all I wanted to say that GraphicsMill is awesome! I have to dynamically compress very large JPEG images and resize them to about 25% of their original size. Since these are images of buildings, EVERY OTHER PROGRAM I have used (including everything found in the .NET framework) distorted the images. With GraphicsMill I was able to use both the Mitchell and the Triangle filters to quickly resize and compress images with NO DISTORTION - amazing!!!
That said, when I run the resizing process on my server, both 3.19 GHz processors go to 100% utilization and are pegged out until all of the images in my cue (I am using a remoting solution to process batches of 50 images at a time) have been resized. Is there any way to throttle this utilization? I understand that it will take longer to complete an image but I do not want to max out the processors for extended periods of time (I have about 2,000,000 images to process once I finish writing the application).
Thanks.
Andrew  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2004 7:32:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
To reduce CPU utilization, you should either to limit it (if you are on IIS 6, you can specify max CPU usage in percents for certain web application), or set low priority for the process which resizes images.

Could you tell more detailed how you use Graphics Mill? Is it a web application (if so, what platform do you have)? If not, what language you have written it at? Are you want to run it once (to process 2000000 files) or use it after that too?
ktola  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2004 8:37:00 PM(UTC)
ktola

Groups: Member

Thank you for the feedback, here are the answers to your questions:
I have built a C# class that will be used to support both the pregeneration of images through a nightly batch process and a remoting service that will resize images on the fly in response to requests from a Windows application. The first step in this process is to take approximately 2 million images and resize them into 3 standard sizes. The normal nightly process will iterate through about 5,000 images and the remoting service is expected to service about 2,000 users per hour.
I wrote the class the accept a byte array representing the incoming images (along with other pertinent data such as heights and widths), resize the image according to those other parameters and add them to an ArrayList of byte arrays that can be retrieved by the calling class.
Andrew  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2004 12:58:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Well... I guess the most efficient way would be to organize web farm or something like that (otherwise you will generate thumbnails about 400 nights, i. e. more than one year). Besides of that we could try to optimize it for your case (for example, in two-pass algorithms quite much time is spent by initialization, so if all your images has the same size, we could noticeable increase speed). If you are interested, we could discuss it (write us to sales@aurigma.com).

Edited by user Friday, May 23, 2008 4:00:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified