Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paul  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:50:00 AM(UTC)
paul

Groups: Member

This is an open topic for users and developers.
I'm trying to get information about what amount of data Image Uploader can handle.
As everyone knows, even JPG picture files become more and more big in size.

Let's assume there is no server side limitation (no timeout, no memory problem,
no network problem)
What are the prerequisites for the client machine (in terms of memory) ?

For instance, I uploaded 53 MB (200 pictures) and everything worked fine :-)
Now, I'm trying to send big files 158 MB ( 75 pictures) and the transer is on going :-)

My configuration: 2 Mbps DSL line, Linux Apache server and PHP scripting on the server side and a Pentium 3 laptop/W2K/400MB memory on client side.

Has anybody uploaded something like 200 MB (in 300 dpi, this is only a few pictures) or
1 GB using Image Uploader v1.8 ? if yes, on which type of client ?

Thanks for your opinion
Paul
Andrew  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:45:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Paul,

Some of our customers used Image Uploader to upload hundreds of megabytes. It takes hours (especially if Image Uploader also generates thumbnails).

However Image Uploader 1.8 is not optimal for huge uploads. The problem is that it prepares the request in memory, so if you upload 1 GB of files, it will commit 1 GB in memory. In this case it will work extremely slow and it even may fail. It can be partially resolved if you upload each file in separate request (undocumented feature of Image Uploader 1.x, which is documented in 2.0 though), but if you upload LARGE files the problem still exist.

We have resolved this problem in Image Uploader 2.0. It caches the request to temporary file, that's why it does not take extra memory regardless to upload size. Only disk space is used.

Another note if you deal with hi-res images. The current version of Image Uploader (both 1.8 and 2.0) is not optimized to create thumbnails from large images. It decompresses entire image in memory, resizes it, and compresses it back to JPEG. It requires a lot of memory (some our customers even experienced shortage of memory problem because of this reason). In future versions we will implement generating thumbnails on-the-fly (during decompressing image), and it will resolve this problem, but currently it is better disable thumbnailing for such files to increase upload speed. You can either generate them on server (I am not guru in PHP and do not know what imaging libraries can generate thumbnails in such way though), or require user to prepare thumbnail himself.

This problem is actual for really large images. Common 5 megapixel photos are not a problem for Image Uploader.

Anyway I recommend you to migrate to version 2.0 (when release will be available of course :) ).
paul  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2004 1:16:00 AM(UTC)
paul

Groups: Member

Andrew,
thanks for your explicit answer.

>It can be partially resolved if you upload each file in separate request (undocumented >feature of Image Uploader 1.x, which is documented in 2.0 though), but if you upload >LARGE files the problem still exist.

Is that feature esy to implement? I'll be happy to test it on Image Uploader v1.8

THX
Paul
Andrew  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2004 12:29:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Paul,

Use this param:

<param name="FileUploadMode" value="Separate">

But anyway, I would strongly recommend you to test also version 2.0 (pre-release version is available: View post). Code samples for PHP are included...

Edited by user Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:03:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified