Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrAiNumbc  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2004 9:01:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I purchased a license for this software and succesfully created this object in my web page, created the upload scripts, etc... works fine on my machine for upload when I visit the page that i added the to...

Problem is... my IE security settings just happen to be low. This object class *IS* an activeX object, correct? And be default (I believe) IE prohibits activex controls from running in web pages... And I don't mean that it prompts you with the familiar "This page contains activex controls, do you wish to continue.. yada yada yada"... I've tested this page on other machines with their default security settings and I get an error saying "You current security settings prohibit ActiveX controls from running on your machine. This may keep the page from running properly" or something to that effect.

:@ There's no way around this is there? I was kind of hoping to have my image uploading page completely idiot proof. Problem is... like I said.. IE's default security settings don't let activex components run and most people I know that surf the web (let alone the site I'm developing) don't really feel comfortable playing around in their security settings when they don't know what any of it means.

Andrew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2004 12:58:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Default security settings of Windows XP and earlier Windows versions have Medium settings. It means that it prompts downloaded signed ActiveX controls and allows run controls which are marked as Safe For Scripting. Image Uploader satisfies these conditions.

Default security settings on Windows 2003 have High level indeed. It means that it disables ANY code downloaded from Internet (including Java applets, .NET assemblies and even client scripts). However Windows 2003 is a server platform, so it is defensible behavior. Users which require "idiot-proof" uploading should not work on this OS.

To make sure, try to run Image Uploader from machines of typical users.
BrAiNumbc  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2004 12:44:00 AM(UTC)
BrAiNumbc

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well.. that calms my fears about XP. I thought with windows 2000 though, that medium security settings involved disabling activex controls without even a prompt.

I took a further look and it it just Unsigned activex that are disabled, signed ones are prompted...

Andrew  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2004 7:49:00 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Image Uploader is signed, that's why there should not be problems with it.