Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daveg  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:21:18 PM(UTC)
daveg

Groups: Member

Hey,

We have had problems recently using imageuploader with regard to the thumbnail image quality. We have it set to create two thumbnails one 150x150 and one 550x500. Now more often than not the image quality of the smaller thumbnail is terrible (jagged and pixellated) and in some cases the image quality of the large thumbnail is not very good either. The strange thing is this doesn't always happen, it never used to but now it's much more regular. My photographer just uploaded some new pictures onto the site using the java applet and they were all jagged, however when i tried to upload one of the same pictures using the java applet the thumbnails were fine. I found this post: http://forums.aurigma.com/yaf_postsm9088.aspx#9088 which says at the end this problem was fixed in 5.1.10, do you think this is the same problem as we're on 4,7,16,0 (dual). What i can't understand is it used to work the whole time and now works sometimes? I am reticent to have to upgrade the whole product just to get the image resizing to work when it used to (and sometimes still does) work okay?

I would really appreciate any pointers you can give on this as it's making all the galleries look terrible! Thanks very much,

Dave

Edited by user Friday, June 11, 2010 3:31:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dmitry  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:08:27 PM(UTC)
Dmitry

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hello Dave,

I am not sure what caused the problem in your case, but it could be a problem with “out of memory”. Unfortunately Image Uploader Java 2.x.x had this problem in the past, it caused unpredictable results when large images were uploaded and memory limit (64 mb) was exceeded by the applet. This problem was fixed in version 5. In your case I highly recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of Image Uploader which has major improvements of speed, stability and quality of thumbnails.
Sincerely yours,
Dmitry Sevostyanov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!
daveg  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2010 6:17:54 PM(UTC)
daveg

Dmitry,

Thanks for your reply. Did this problem happen when one image was over 64MB or when all images bein uploaded in that batch are collectively more than 64MB? Because my photographer just uploaded 4 images via firefox which look perfect, then uploaded the a full set of 200 images (including these four at the start) and they all look awful. I am going to try and download the version 6 evaluation copy to see if this fixes it, but i am slightly peturbed at having to pay to upgrade the software just to allow something that we have already paid for? Obviously the whole point of image uploader is that it uploads images and the fact that it doesn't do that properly and that i have to pay more money to upgrade to make this core bit of functionality work seems a little harsh? Is my only option to upgrade to version 6 (at 80% as i am currently on version 4)? Is there anyway of me upgrading to version 5 for free (or at least for cheap) so as to fix the pixilation problem or is the only solution to enable proper image uploading to pay all over again?

Thanks very much,

Dave Watkins
daveg  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2010 10:08:42 PM(UTC)
daveg

Dmitry,

Just to add, i have just reuploaded exactly the same files as my photographer did (all in one go) as a test and the quality is absolutely perfect. We both used firefox (him on a mac, me on a pc) so presumably both times it would have been through java. I have attached thumbnails (both created from the same image with exactly the same settings), one uploaded by him, one uploaded by me. You can see the crazy quality difference?

Thanks very much,

Dave
daveg attached the following image(s):
L1.jpg
L2.jpg
Dmitry  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:50:26 PM(UTC)
Dmitry

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hello Dave,

Yes, the quality of the first thumbnail is really awful. Please try Image Uploader 6 and let me know whether it fixes the problem.
Sincerely yours,
Dmitry Sevostyanov

UserPostedImage Follow Aurigma on Twitter!
daveg  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:39:07 PM(UTC)
daveg

Dmitry,

I have tested version 6 and uploaded multiple picture sets (as has my photographer) and these all seem fine, so it does appear to be a problem with the version we have. Does this mean that our only solution is to purchase a license for version 6 at 80% of the cost (as we have version 4)? I am slightly perturbed at having to pay nearly full list price to upgrade the software purely so it enables it to upload images correctly, when that was why it was bought in the first place and we have been having this problem for a long time on and off, i just didn't think it would be a bug in the software. Is there any way of getting a larger discount on the upgrade as we are only doing it so it works properly, which is what we paid for in the first place? Please feel free to PM me or email me directly if you would prefer.

Thanks very much,

Dave
Andrew  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:28:34 PM(UTC)
Andrew

Groups: Member, Administration

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Dave,

I have sent you an answer through email.