Welcome Guest! You need to login or register to make posts.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris Jones  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:20:11 PM(UTC)
Chris Jones

Groups: Member

In my application, you can draw a box on the screen and text can be either manually typed in or dynamically pulled from the database which is rendered inside that box using the BoundedText class.

The text can be auto-sizing as well so instead of picking a font size, it will incremenent font sizes from size of 1, measuring the bounding box until the text no longer fits inside the defined area. It then uses the previous valid font size for the text rendering. This currently seems to work very well when there are about 3 or 4 words or more.
In the case that there are 1 or 2 words, it becomes highly likely that one of the characters of the first word will get split.

e.g. if the text is "enter text" then it will probably end up like this:

ente
r text

also if the text is "ENTER" then it nearly always splits it into 2 lines of "ENT" and "ER"

The previous approach to auto-sizing text which was suggested before was to count the number of paths that the text makes and keep increasing the size until the path count decreases (i.e. a character is cut off) but this won't work either because we aren't losing characters, it is just moved.

So my question is, is there a way around this problem? If not, would it be possible for a feature/option to be added to GraphicsMill which stops words being split up even if it goes over the text bounds? (or any ideas for a better feature/solution?)

Thanks

Edited by moderator Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:47:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eugene Kosmin  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 5:56:55 PM(UTC)
Eugene Kosmin

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, there is no reliable way to prevent or detect word splitting.

I will add this feature to our bug tracker.
Best regards,
Eugene Kosmin
The Aurigma Development Team
thanks 1 user thanked Eugene Kosmin for this useful post.
Chris Jones on 10/17/2016(UTC)
Chris Jones  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:40:38 PM(UTC)
Chris Jones

Groups: Member

Just wondering if this has been added yet? We're going to be releasing to customers in a few months and its still an unresolved issue that for now i'm going to try to work around. It would be great if a dont split whole words option can be added, at least for when measuring text. We're also now using the formatted text (<span> etc tags) a lot so ideally this would also be handled correctly.
Eugene Kosmin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:08:38 PM(UTC)
Eugene Kosmin

Groups: Member, Administration, Moderator

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
In the nearest future, we are going do a bunch of things for the text rendering engine. This feature will be ready until the end of the year.
Best regards,
Eugene Kosmin
The Aurigma Development Team
thanks 1 user thanked Eugene Kosmin for this useful post.
Chris Jones on 11/3/2017(UTC)